Thursday, June 30, 2005

Hello again! I warned you, I haven't had someone asking questions about my historical novel, MEMPHIS IN OUR HEARTS (available in print from ZUMAYA PUBLICATIONS, Amazon/BookSurge, bookstores and their web pages as well in e-book format from ZUMAYA too) so here goes-hope some lurkers are out there and hanging on every click of the keyboard) - I can dream, can't I? Waaaaaay back about 1966 or 67 my husband and our little family was living in east Memphis, our daughter was 3+ years old and our son was 9+ years old. Jimmy was a cub scout - it was summer - he and a friend had gone to a nearby wooded area on a project to collect leaves and identify trees in the area for a merit badge. (I was always a firm believer in the buddy system even though they weren't going to be far from home.) They hadn't been gone too long when Jimmy ran in the back door, headed for the bathroom and threw up! After getting him calmed down and cleaned up (or maybe during all that) I learned they'd come upon 'a lot of dead bodies!' I got a neighbor to sit with my children, got on my broom and went up there, mad enough to go bear hunting with a switch and not knowing what to expect. By the time I got to the area there had been security posted at the place I knew the boys had gone to gather their leaves. The very professional security guards would not let anone approach more than three or four feet to talk to them but over the guard's shoulder I could see some of the desturbed graves. The one closest was a heart-breaker. From the hole in the ground a leg in a long black stocking stuck straight up. I'm sure the wooden casket had long since disentigrated. The leg stuck up from (still) snowwhite and beautiful lace that looked like cotton eyelet. And I knew what I was looking at. Someone's beloved daughter who had died of yellow fever in the epidemic. It still gives me goosepimples to think about it. There was a lot of new construction in east Memphis then and some contractor who thought he'd done his homework had run into one of the burial grounds for the yellow fever victims. I read everything I came across about that as the years wore on (and the children grew up and life went on : - ) When I retired I joined a writing group (The Penpoint Group in Jacksonville, AR - I'm still a member) and the first book I had published was MEMPHIS IN OUR HEARTS. Those were exciting, heart rending, joyous, interesting times and the research was as exciting as any fiction book could ever be. Come back to our next break & I'll tell you more. Break's over!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home