Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Hello and happy Tuesday, friends, readers and fellow writers (sufferers too if you're doing battle with your computer as I have been). This struggle with my thirty pounds of smart metal has left me as spent as any other battle but I've finally found the glitch and I can do my screenplay now. All I have to do is get started and do it (right! ; -)). One thing I found out is there are lots of people who are really compter smart and experienced who were as stymied by this stumbling block as I was. I'd about given up hope when I got into one of those 'chat' things with the company who made my computer (Compaq) and got to tell my troubles to someone named Albert. Must have been the shade of Albert Einstein or Sweitzer (or God or my guardian angel) because he let me blather on (you type in your problem and he types an answer and you chat about it) until the machine just cut me off. Albert has the patience of Job but the computer has no patiance at all with mere humans. All Albert typed back when the machine cut me off was "truncated at" and I started there and continued my (whiney ) facts and what I did, and what I needed. This happened twice - I typed on - what I lack in knowledge I make up for in perseverance - he! he! he! then Albert stated this was no a problem brought on by their product (I agreed - le problem as usual - c'est moi!) but he said he'd try to help me. When you finally get one of these archangel's attention you click enough 'yeses' and 'I agrees' to give them complete control of your machine so he had everything at his fingertips and knew I was not only a basket case but a basket case with a problem that needed fixing. He looked at my machine and my condition, gave me brief instructions which did not involve my buying any more software or a new computer. I was braced for anything since the other contacts I'd made were beginning to sound like my computer needed the equivilent of an MRI for a human being - scary - mind-boggling expensive, and probably wouldn't help anyway. His instructions were so simple I couldn't believe it - then he was gone - just like the Spirit of Ignorance Past or something equally as impressive. I did exactly as he said - and IT WORKS! I'll close on a happy note - break's over! : - )
Jackie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home