Monday, July 24, 2006

BEIGNET BULLETIN! Those heavenly beignets with your cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans are GOOD WITHOUT SUGAR, TOO! Not that I didn't dip a little since I've been good on my 'sugar-shunning' diet.
Its good to be home though. We made a really quick trip from here (Cabot - about 40 miles north of Little Rock, Arkansas) to St. Augustine, FL to see my DH's brother and his wife. The tracks Rita and Katrina are still visible, but life is going on - and construction? Wow! We had a good visit and it was an interesting trip but anywhere we go just confirms my feeling that "This is IT!" I don't want to live any farther north because I don't like cold and ice, but I don't want to live any farther south either, because I don't like humidity, bugs, or reptiles of any discription - not to mention mold and mildew.
We stopped in New Orleans because I wanted to get a little information at the Cafe du Monde. I heard they had used the power outage to do a general cleaning and overhaul and install some new equipment, too. That's where I made the wonderful discovery that beignets are good even without sugar. Before I found out I have Diabetes II (not bad, a little pill controls it - just no sugar or too many carbs) when Jim and I stopped for beignets and cafe au lait I looked suspiciously like what I couldn't eat I just rubbed in : - ) with all the powdered sugar that dropped off the good little things. Also talked to the manager and found out some things about what they'd done and the down time, etc. A very nice fellow, and I'm going to give him an acknowledgement when I use the inf. I got in a coming Maryvale cozy. (A couple of my characters are going to get involved in a murder in NO - but that's another story - literally!:-))
Despite the damage, heat, and cop cars lined up bumper to bumper on Canal street (troopers and all) it was a good visit, but we're glad to be home. Break's over!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home