Sunday, August 07, 2005

"You can't get there from here!" Yep, that's how it is right now, my little home town is one big growing pain. I've been busy as a one-eyed dog in a butcher shop since my last blog, and directions are just part of the - activities. Once Burned, my new romance-suspense came out the last of April and I've been waiting for The Devil in Maryvale, the first of a cozy mystery series to come out. The cover was okayed, last of the galleys sent, an ASAP order for some copies from the printer was in, all I had to do was wait. In fact, with all the time-consuming things required to get a book into print, I'm tempted to list 'waiter' as my occupation instead of writer. However, I called the independent book store I've been talking to and promised to bring them a couple of each of them on consignment since they're in an established (reading) neighborhood. Also, the bookstore chains demand 40% when you sign books with them so you have to be desperate for name recognition to do it.

I will probably go on and do a couple of signings with a chain store in a nearby town where I've done booksignings before, but it won't be within the next two months. There is no bookstore in our small town but there is coffee shop I've been eyeing, so I took my two new books and called on them. When I opened the door I was surprised and pleased. There was a (little smaller than lifesize) chef statue standing outside and it was like entering one of the places in the French Quarter in NO, except they have more room. It was love at first sight and hopefully the signilng will be good for the coffee shop and me as well, signing is set up for Sat. 9:00-11:00 AM Sept. 3, and will be announced in our local weekly paper next week.

The direction problem is a couple of the streets may not be there by Sept. 3! Sounds like something the Three Stooges would get into, doesn't it? This place has become a contractor's dream and a homeowner's nightmare. What there is of the sewer system is obsolete, inadequate, worn out anyway, and the local politicians are still haggling over a dependable water supply. Hundreds of people are moving here to get out of the big city and causing a big problem. The secretary of our writing group said to send directions so she can announce the signing and I'm doing that - with the reminder that the directions may change by the time we have our next meeting which, fortunately, is one week before the signing. Also fortunate, the place is directly across from the post office, so anyone or the local police can direct people. (Gee! I wish I thought there would be that many people looking for me! : - )) Wish me luck, break's over!

1 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did your signing go, Jackie? September 3 was my birthday. I hope you had a happy My Birthday. Pat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home